The WIRTGEN GROUP is an internationally operating group of companies in the construction and mining machinery sector incorporating the traditional product brands: WIRTGEN, VÖGELE, HAMM, KLEEMANN and BENNINGHOVEN. As technological leader, we can offer our customers mobile machine solutions for road construction and road rehabilitation, plants for mining and processing minerals or recycling material and for the production of asphalt.
WIRTGEN Surface Miners
“Why don’t we apply our knowledge gained in asphalt milling to the mining of hard rock?”
This idea in the mid 1970’s triggered the development of a new, economically efficient open pit mining method known as surface mining. What followed was an unparalleled success story with WIRTGEN driving the development and becoming the global market leader in the manufacture of machines for mechanically cutting rock in open pit mining operations.
In 1980, WIRTGEN developed a prototype based on their market leading road milling machines and have continued to develop larger, innovative, purpose built and increasingly efficient machines for use in open pit mining globally ever since.
Over the last 35+ years, over 550 machines have been sold by WIRTGEN into various mining applications, including coal, limestone, gypsum, iron ore, bauxite, salt and phosphate to name a few. Impressively, over 325 machines have been sold in the last 10 years alone with 30% of these operating in coal mines, and another 30% operating in gypsum and limestone operations.
WIRTGEN surface miners have many benefits of which some are listed below:
• Ability to selectively and cleanly mine thin coal seams or to a precise boundary, minimising loss and dilution and maximising the value of your deposit.
• Mined material is cut and loaded in a single operation, reducing the need for drilling, blasting and primary crushing.
• Less rehandle and overall handling steps results in less fines generation, reduced dust and overall costs. The machines additionally have dust suppression fitted.
• Less machines to do the same job.
• Blast damage is avoided providing safer highwalls and the floor is flat and trafficable directly after cutting reducing wear and tear on mobile equipment.
• Central drum design located near to the machine’s centre of gravity for stability and precise cutting accuracy in hard rock environments.
WIRTGEN is the only manufacturer worldwide offering customers three different mining methods as the mined material can be deposited on the cut floor directly behind the machine for grade control or operating requirements, sidecasted into a central windrow by utilising the slewing discharge conveyor or loaded directly into trucks to reduce rehandling.
Wirtgen Australia will be showcasing their latest innovations, products and services on the exhibition floor at IMARC. Claim your complimentary expo pass now.