Javier Orellana heads Schneider Electric’s digitization consultancy team responsible for supporting the mining, mineral & metals; water & waste water; Infrastructure and Consumer Package Goods industry. In this role, Javier is responsible for providing consultancy services to industry to assist in the definition of digitization and technology strategies and roadmaps.
Prior to managing the consultancy team, Javier headed the Mineral Processing & Optimisation Centre of Expertise from the mining, mineral and metals segment at Schneider Electric. His role specifically focuses managing the execution of innovation programs across multiple product groups and provide expertise in the areas of process optimization, mineral processing, regulatory & advance process control, instrumentation, data analysis, data & information management, modelling and simulation, industrial networking and security, process systems architectures, and control systems design as well as project management.
In his previous role as lead analysis at Rio Tinto Process Excellence Centre, Javier was responsible for the development of the centres integrated operations platform and the management of business improvement projects delivered in collaboration with Rio Tinto mining operation globally.
Javier background in technology, digital transformation, process engineering, process control, process modelling and optimisation have played a key role in the integration of advance process control methods and approach for process improvement and optimization using Schneider Electrics automation solutions. as well as provide technical support in the validation and testing. Further, Javier deep knowledge of technology and data integration/management have enable Javier to help business to better leverage digital system to deliver tangible business value.
Over his career, he has been active in the fields of technology, engineering education and process control, both in academia (School of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, The University of Sydney) and industry. Javier has presented conference papers at professional meetings of CHEMECA, UICEE Annual Conference on Engineering Education, International Conference on Information Technology Based Higher Education & Training and IICA.
- The University of Technology, Sydney (B. Applied Science / Major in Material Science, 1989)
- University of Sydney (Grad. Cert., Higher education 2005).
- The University of Sydney – Doctor of Philosophy Candidate – Engineering education (2008)
- Macquarie School of Business (Macquarie University), Master of Business Administration (MBA) (2012 -2013)
- TRAINWEST, Western Australia Certificate IV Training and Assessment Accreditation (TAA)(2008)
- Hirschmann Industrial Professional Certification (HiNS) , (HiTP), (HiDP) (2011)
- Highly Proficient in managing large projects and execution
- Highly Proficient in managing people and teams
- Highly Proficient in Process Control and Optimisation including;
- Advance process control methods (IMC, MPA, Feed Forward, MIMO)
- Regulatory process control
- Highly Proficient in developing process Models and Simulation systems
- High fidelity modelling – gPROMPs, Hysys, MatLab and MiMic
- Low Fidelity modelling – PLC, first priciple
- Process Engineering (Petrochemical, Chemical, Mining and Mineral Processing)
- Highly Proficient in design and development of integrated system architecture – Industrial systems
- Extensive experience in designing complex industrial networks from corporate to device layer
- Layer 3 – routing and security (Switches and router)
- Layer2 – data segregation, data management,
- Cyber security and network stability
- Automation and control; Expertise in
- PLC (Modicon) , DCS (TDC3000 and Experion, MOD300), SCADA (VijeoCITECT)
- Education – Development and delivery – Specifically in Experiential Learning
- Academic and Technical writing
Recent Major Projects – Metals, Mining & Minerals
- Development of business strategy for Mineral Processing & optimisation CoE
- Integrated operations consulting – Iron Ore Canada
- Digitization and enabling technologies consultancy – MMG
- Rio Tinto Process Excellence Centre analytical lead responsible for managing projects and providing consultancy services for site process improvements (operational efficiency)
- Hancock Coal – Network architecture, System Engineering (defining SE solution Hardware and Software), Process engineering (Standards development – PLC)
- BMA, network audit and recommendations
- Sedgman – Validation of motor control solution
- North Parks – Validation of Ethernet Remote I/O solution
Javier Orellana, Business Consultant, Digital Transformation at Schneider Electric, will be presenting on: The Digital Journey in Mining: The impact of technology and digitisation on people and operations at this year’s IMARC. Download the programme now.